Did you know that you can cook sweet potatoes in a microwave? If you have sweet potatoes in your pantry, keep in mind that you always have an instant side dish – microwaved sweet potato! Microwaved sweet potatoes have great taste and texture similar to a baked sweet potato – they are soft, sweet and piping hot, and they are ready to eat in 5 minutes. Split the microwaved sweet potato in half, top it with some butter and sprinkle with brown sugar – yum!
Microwaving a sweet potato is really easy – all you need to do is pierce the sweet potato with a fork, wrap it in a paper towel and microwave on High for 5 minutes. This microwave baked sweet potato recipe is a true find for a busy cook!
Recipe: How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In A Microwave
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Sweet potato
Instructions For Microwaving A Sweet Potato
- Prick the sweet potato with a fork. These little holes will allow the steam to escape while the potato is cooking – this is done to prevent the sweet potato from exploding and making a mess in your microwave 🙂
- Wrap the sweet potato in a paper towel.
- Put the wrapped sweet potato in a microwave and cook for 5 minutes.
- Let the sweet potato stand for 2 minutes, as it will be extremely hot.
- Carefully remove cooked sweet potato from the microwave and unwrap from the paper towel.
- Cut the sweet potato in half and serve.
You can microwave more than one sweet potato at a time – just add 4 minutes for each additional potato. For example, to cook two sweet potatoes will take 9 minutes and three sweet potatoes will take 13 minutes.
Microwaved sweet potatoes can be topped with butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and apple sauce – any of these toppings go really well with sweet potatoes and enhance their taste. Sweet potatoes are usually pretty big, so one potato can be enough for two people as a side dish – each person gets one half of the big sweet potato.
Here are some pictures of microwaving a sweet potato –
Start with the unpeeled sweet potato:
Pierce the sweet potato skin with a fork, then wrap the sweet potato in a paper towel:
Put the sweet potato in a microwave and cook for 5 minutes: