Everybody is familiar with the classic shepherd’s pie – a layered casserole dish made with meat on the bottom and mashed potatoes on top. Shepherd’s pie is a classic American comfort food – so tasty! This version of shepherd’s pie uses sweet potatoes instead of traditional white potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are actually healthier than regular potatoes, so this sweet potato shepherd’s pie is quite a healthy choice! Use extra-lean ground turkey to lighten up the meat – turkey is delicious in a combination with vibrant orange sweet potato mash!
This is a one-dish recipe that makes a complete dinner – no side dish is needed! Baked casserole dishes are so comforting, this sweet potato shepherd’s pie makes a perfect dinner.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and boil for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- While the sweet potatoes are boiling, heat the oil on a non-stick frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey and sprinkle with cumin. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain them in a colander and put in a large bowl. Add milk and honey and mash with a potato masher.
- Put the meat mixture into a large non-stick baking dish (spread it evenly), then spread the mashed sweet potatoes on top. Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of the sweet potato mixture with the egg.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.