BBQ Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This is no ordinary shepherd’s pie with plain ground beef. This is a BBQ beef shepherd’s pie with delicious juicy barbecue beef! Yum, yum, yum, what an amazing comfort food!
What could be better on a cold winter day than a big sloppy slice of a comforting shepherd’s pie? Mexican hot chocolate perhaps :) This BBQ beef shepherd’s pie is so meaty, so juicy, topped with smooth creamy mashed potatoes, so soft and yummy! This is so hearty, it just makes your tummy so happy, and if you are really lazy you don’t really have to chew much since the shepherd’s pie so soft :) Perfect for a lazy cold day, this BBQ shepherd’s pie recipe is exactly what you need!
Do you call it shepherd’s pie or cottage pie? Both names are referring to the exact same dish! The origin of shepherd’s pie a.k.a. cottage pie was traced to 1870s Scotland/Northern England. “Shepherd’s” is because it was often made with ground lamb (even though in modern days it is usually made with ground beef), and “cottage” is because of modest cottages where the peasants lived and cooked the cottage pie. Like all peasant food, this simple down-to-earth meat and potato dish is truly hearty and comforting.
Adding BBQ sauce is a modern twist on a traditional shepherd’s pie, and it takes it to the whole new level! You can use your favorite bottled barbecue sauce, or make your own homemade BBQ sauce from scratch.
Shepherd’s pie is really easy to make. First, make the mashed potatoes (check out my tips for perfect mashed potatoes). While the potatoes are cooking, pan-fry ground beef together with chopped onion then add the barbecue sauce to it to make it super juicy and flavorful. Spread the BBQ beef on the bottom of a baking dish, then top with a layer of mashed potatoes. Bake the cottage pie in the oven until the potatoes are golden brown on top. Enjoy!
You will also like these recipes:
2 Roasted Chickens With Potatoes
BBQ Beef Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 potatoes peeled and quartered
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup milk warm
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Put potatoes in a pot of salted water, bring to boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes, then return to pot, add butter, warm milk and minced garlic and mash until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil on a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the beef is cooked through. Add the BBQ sauce and mix until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the BBQ ground beef on the bottom of non-stick 9-inch square baking dish. Add the potatoes on top of the ground beef. Put the assembled shepherd's pie in the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden on top.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!