If you like perfect mashed potatoes, you can change it up a little bit and try mashed sweet potatoes. This mashed sweet potatoes recipe makes a very easy and yummy side dish.
Mashed sweet potatoes go really well with turkey – for every day meals, serve them with turkey cutlets, roast turkey tenderloin or prepared roasted turkey breast from Whole Foods. Mashed sweet potatoes are also a very popular side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner menu.
To make mashed sweet potatoes, first bake the sweet potatoes in the oven. Baked sweet potatoes make better mashed potatoes than boiled – baking brings out the best flavor out of sweet potatoes. After the sweet potatoes are baked, peel them and mash with a potato masher. Stir in some maple syrup, butter and salt to taste, and you’ve got yourself perfect sweet mashed potatoes!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove baked sweet potatoes from the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes.
- Carefully peel the sweet potatoes (the peel will come right off).
- Put the sweet potatoes in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into several pieces and add to the sweet potatoes.
- Pour maple syrup over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.
- If more sweetness is desired, add more maple syrup to taste.