Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Potatoes so nice, we baked them twice… but without the oven! With creamy butter and crumbled bacon, these Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes are savory and delicious.
Twice baked potatoes are so delicious, but they take forever to make. I mean, I wish I could eat them all the time, but who has the time? With this recipe, you have twice baked potatoes ready in way less time. This recipe for Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes saves you at least an hour versus using the oven. Sign me up!
If you are wondering how you can make twice baked potatoes in under an hour, let me introduce you to my friend The Instant Pot. Using the instant pot makes these potatoes done so much faster than using the traditional oven method. No need to worry about diminished flavor, these Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes are delicious!
To make these potatoes, you add a cup of water to your instant pot and insert the trivet. Put whole potatoes on top of the trivet and close the lid. Turn the valve to a sealed position and press “Pressure Cook” or “Manual,” setting your timer for 20 minutes. When the potatoes are done, quick release your steam and drain the potatoes. Remove them from the instant pot. When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh using a spoon. Leave the skin intact. Place the potato flesh in a large bowl and add your butter, sour cream, and milk. Mash the ingredients together and add in a half cup of the shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix until incorporated. Put the mashed potatoes back into the pot skin shells and add a cup of water into the instant pot. Put the trivet back in, placing the filled potatoes on top. Sprinkle the remaining half cup of cheese on top, turn the valve to a sealed position, and press the “Pressure Cook” or “Manual” button. Set the timer to five minutes on High pressure. When the timer goes off, quick release the steam and carefully remove these delicious Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes.
They are going to smell incredible! Sprinkle with some chopped green onion and these beauties are ready to serve!
Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes Step By Step Photos:
Step 1: Bake potatoes in the Instant Pot (20 min on High pressure with 1 cup water, then QR)
Step 2: Scoop out the potato flesh and leave skins intact
Step 3: Mash potatoes with milk and butter.
Step 4: Stuff potato skins with mashed potatoes.
Step 5: Sprinkle potatoes with bacon bits and shredded cheese.
Step 6: Put stuffed potatoes in the Instant Pot on a trivet (with 1 cup of water on the bottom).
Step 7: Cook twice baked potatoes in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes on High pressure, then QR.
Full of flavor with a creamy inside and baked outside, these Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes are heavenly. I love the way this recipe takes a classic dish and keeps all the wonderful flavor while cutting down the cooking time. Give them a try and I know you’ll love them, too.
If you like Instant Pot twice baked potatoes, you will also love these other Instant Pot potato recipes:
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – tender and buttery sweet potatoes, ready in 30 minutes in the Instant Pot!
- Instant Pot Roasted Potatoes – golden-brown on the outside, tender on the inside! Yes, you can make roasted potatoes without an oven!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – once you try making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, you’ll never make them any other way! No need to deal with a pot of boiling water and no need to drain the potatoes!
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – oven-baked texture in half the time! So much better then microwaved ones!
- Instant Pot Small Potatoes – tasty little baby potatoes cook perfectly in the Instant Pot! Serve them with butter and dill – mouthwatering!
Instant Pot Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups water
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Pierce potato with a fork in several places. Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Insert the trivet (the rack that came with the Instant Pot) and put whole potatoes on top of the trivet. Close the lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 20 minutes for medium potatoes (or 25 minutes for large potatoes).
- When the potatoes are done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam. Drain the potatoes and remove from Instant Pot.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh using watermelon scooper or a spoon, leaving the skins intact.
- Put the potato flesh in a large bowl, add butter, sour cream and milk and mash with a potato masher. If needed, add more milk and sour cream, until desired consistency is reached. Add 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese to the mashed potatoes and mix until incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the mashed potatoes into the potato skin shells.
- Add 1 cup of water into Instant Pot and insert the trivet. Put the filled potato shells on the trivet and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese and then sprinkle with bacon crumbles. Close the lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 5 minutes on High pressure.
- When it's done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam. Carefully remove the double baked potatoes from the Instant Pot, sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve.
I’ve made these twice in the last two weeks and they’re fantastic. The real beauty of this recipe is how quickly you’re at the “remove the potato flesh” stage thanks to the Instant Pot. Great job, Melanie!
Can you make the baked potatoes, then make them up into twice baked, freeze and then cook at a later time? And could they then be cooked in the instant pot or would they have to finish cooking in the oven? Thanks
You can do it and cook in the Instant Pot (just increase cooking time by 5 minutes), but I think freezing would change the texture of potatoes, I personally never tried freezing them. If you try it, please let us know how it turned out!
I made 4 of them at once. Used two at the first meal right away.. Very good. Then I froze the other ones and took them out last night, increased the cook time by 5 minutes in the instant pot as you suggested. They were excellent. Will definitely make these again. Thanks