Instant Pot roasted potatoes are so delicious! Much quicker then roasting them in the oven!
I love roasted potatoes! My popular recipe for best ever oven roasted potatoes has gotten over 50,000 shares on Pinterest – people love these crispy yummy potatoes! Since now I have a new toy to play with (my Instant Pot), I wanted to see if I can make roasted potatoes in the Instant Pot, and I surely did 🙂
My first attempt at Instant Pot roasted potatoes was with sweet potatoes (see my Instant Pot roasted sweet potatoes recipe). Those roasted sweet potatoes turned out perfect on the first try! Then I tried using the exact same process for regular white potatoes, but the recipe ended up needing tweaking. Here’s why:
The Instant Pot roasted sweet potato recipe uses the “Saute” function of the Instant Pot to saute the sweet potato pieces in oil to get them browned, and then pressure cooks them to make them soft. When I tried the same process with regular potatoes, they got really stuck to the stainless steel pot on Saute, and it was quite a pain to peel them off. Then I googled about frying potatoes on stainless steel, and the consensus was that they stick because of their starch content, and that cooked potatoes don’t stick that much (only the raw ones do). Sweet potatoes don’t have starch, therefore they don’t have sticking issues, that’s why I didn’t have this problem with sweet potatoes.
So since cooked white potatoes don’t stick to stainless steel like raw white potatoes, my solution was to reverse the steps – first pressure cook the potatoes, and then saute to make them browned, and it worked perfectly!
How To Make Roasted Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Step 1: Peel and cut the potatoes
Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
Step 2: Pressure cook the potatoes
Put potatoes and 1/2 cup water in the Instant Pot and pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then quick release (QR) the steam and drain the potatoes.
Step 3: Saute the potatoes
Pour 2 tbsp oil in the Instant Pot, press the Saute button and let the oil heat for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes in a single layer and saute, turning every 2 minutes, for 5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over. Sprinkle the roasted potatoes with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
If you like Instant Pot roasted potatoes, you will also love these easy recipes:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – once you try making mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot, you’ll never make them any other way! A true game changer!
Instant Pot Sausages – cooking Italian sausage has never been easier! Goes great with potatoes!
Instant Pot Applesauce – homemade cinnamon applesauce tastes amazing! So easy to make, you don’t even need to peel the apples!
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast – cook them directly from frozen, no need to defrost!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – perfect baked sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot! So tender and delicious!
- 4 potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- Put potatoes and water in the Instant Pot, close the lid and turn the valve to Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 3 minutes on High pressure.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, quick release (QR) the steam and drain the potatoes.
- Dry the empty pot and put it back into the Instant Pot. Pour oil in the Instant Pot, leave the pot open, press the "Saute" button and select 15 minutes for the time. Let the oil heat for 2 minutes, then add the potatoes in a single layer.
- Let the potatoes cook undisturbed for 3 minutes, then flip them over and cook on another side for 2 minutes. Stir the potatoes again and saute for another 2 minutes or until golden brown all over.
- Sprinkle the roasted potatoes with salt and pepper to taste and serve.