In the summer when peaches are plentiful, I love to make this upside down peach cake. The cut-up peaches are layered on the bottom of the baking dish, covered with the sweet batter and baked. When the cake is ready, each slice is served inverted onto a plate – the slice is upside down so the peaches are on top!
Upside down peach cake is a perfect summer dessert, and it can be served warm with a scoop of ice cream, and it’s also good cold. When the peaches are in season, this upside down peach cake is a must to make! Give it a try – it will be a hit at your next summer barbeque!
Upside Down Peach Cake Recipe
- 6 large peaches
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Slice the peaches and discard the pits. Put the peach slices on the bottom of a non-stick 8×12 baking pan in a single layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Mix in the sugar. Add butter and mix until combined. Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined.
- Pour the cake batter over the peach slices. If necessary, spread the batter with your hands so it covers the peach slices.
- Put the cake in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Invert the cake before serving so the peaches are on top – either invert the whole cake onto a plate, or slice it first, and invert the individual slices.
Here’s the picture of this peach cake right out of the oven – it is not yet “upside down” as the baked batter is on top of peaches :)