This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Make your own homemade thousand island dressing with this easy recipe! This tastes perfect on a Reuben sandwich or a cheeseburger and uses ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator. It’s that simple!
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing Recipe
This homemade thousand island dressing is really fantastic! Once you try it, you will never want to buy the bottled version again. The best thing about this sauce recipe is that it’s really easy to make, too.
Even people who think they don’t like thousand island dressing will love this! It’s yummy, light, and there is no added sugar – the only sugar is from the ketchup and the sweet relish.
This salad dressing relies on the sugar from the ketchup and the sweet relish to add the sweet flavor. If you want to make it completely sugar-free, you’ll have to use pickled relish and sugar-free ketchup.
How To Make Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
Here’s how to make your own homemade dressing. I highly recommend making a large batch – it’s so easy to make, that you’ll want to use it as your new favorite dip and salad dressing!
First, chop the onion into the smallest pieces you possibly can and put it in a bowl.
Next, add the mayo, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika, and salt to the onion. Put this mixture in a large bowl so that you have room to mix everything together.
After that, squeeze the lemon over the other ingredients.
Finally, mix all the thousand island dressing ingredients with a spoon until it is well combined.
- Don’t have time to chop onions? The best way to speed that up is to use frozen chopped onions! Just let them defrost first and then pat them dry.
- Fresh lemon juice has a much better flavor, but if you don’t have any fresh lemon, you can squirt a little bottled lemon juice on it instead.
How To Serve Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
There are lots of different ways you can use this homemade dressing beyond just on top of your favorite cold chopped salad.
Instead of using it on a salad or as a dip, you can also use it as a sauce on cold sandwiches. Try it with some roast beef and sharp cheddar cheese. Add some shredded lettuce and sliced tomato for a sandwich you’ll never forget!
This dressing also tastes amazing as a marinade. Simply let some chicken legs, thighs, and wings, marinate in the dressing overnight. Then, bake or grill it!
It comes out juicy and with the most amazing flavor with a hint of sweetness!
Finally, pour this dressing on top of poached eggs sitting on toasted rye bread and roast beef. This is an open-faced thousand island eggs benedict. Delicious!
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
If you loved this homemade thousand island dressing, check out some of my other dressings, dips, and marinades.
These are some of my go-to’s:
- Lemon Yogurt Dressing
- Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip
- Caesar Salad Dressing Without Raw Eggs
- Tzatziki Sauce As A Salad Dressing
- Sweet And Spicy Sriracha Chili Dip
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayo
- ⅓ onion
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- ¼ lemon
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Chop the onion into the smallest pieces you possibly can and put it in a bowl.
- Add mayo, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt to the onion.
- Squeeze the lemon over the other ingredients.
- Mix all the thousand island dressing ingredients with a spoon until combined.