This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This baked zucchini and white bean casserole recipe makes a great vegetarian comfort food. Chopped zucchini is first sauteed with onions, garlic and spices, and then oven baked with white beans and tomatoes. This yummy zucchini casserole is topped with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, and the topping gets browned in the oven and tastes so good!
Warm and comforting casserole that’s also healthy is a great find! Unlike traditional casseroles that are high in calories, this vegetarian oven baked zucchini is low in calories and fat, and very nutritious at the same time. This recipe is loaded with vitamins from zucchini, tomatoes and white beans. The beans also provide lots of protein that will keep you full. If you are staying away from carbs, you can omit the bread crumbs and use only the Parmesan cheese for topping.
Another great thing about this zucchini casserole is that it’s a one dish meal! I love casseroles because you don’t have to plan a side dish. Just one dish provides a complete hot meal that’s so tasty and good for you!
- 4 zucchinis, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 can (15 oz) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian herbs seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Heat the oil on a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and mix.
- Put the beans on the bottom of an 8x8 non-stick baking dish (I use Pyrex dish).
- Add the zucchini mixture on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the bread crumbs and then with Parmesan cheese.
- Put the zucchini casserole in the oven on the top rack and bake for 30 minutes.