This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
If you are looking for a satisfying vegan main dish, look no further: this yummy brown rice pilaf is a perfect vegan main course recipe! This vegan brown rice pilaf doesn’t use any animal products – this recipe doesn’t include any meat, dairy or eggs.
This pilaf is so tasty that even meat eaters will love it! The protein in this vegan main dish comes from chickpeas and almonds – this brown rice pilaf will realy make you as full as something that has meat in it! This rice is extremely flavorful and so healthy. If you are looking to add more healthy main dish recipes to your recipe rotation, try this pilaf – you will love it!
I’ve had people who normally don’t like brown rice really enjoy eating this vegan brown rice pilaf! It’s nice to take a break from the meat something – especially when you are eating something so yummy and good for you!
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, shredded (I use the food processor fitted with the shredder blade)
- 1 package (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- ¼ cups slivered almonds (or use can use regular almonds, chopped)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Put the water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice to boiling water. When the water boils again, reduce heat to the lowest simmer and cover the pot. Cook for 50 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots to the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the frying pan and mix. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, chickpeas, soy sauce and pepper and mix thoroughly. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Remove the frying pan from heat. Stir in the parsley and almonds.
- Add cooked brown rice to the vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly.
Recipe shortcut: if you own a rice cooker, just cook your rice in it – it’s much easier than watching a pot on the stove. Just see my instructions on how to cook perfect brown rice in a rice cooker.
Enjoy this tasty, healthy and filling vegan main dish! If you like this brown rice pilaf, check out my other vegetarian main dishes: vegetarian black bean enchiladas, vegetarian eggplant lasagna and vegetarian fried rice.