My favorite way of cooking squash is to roast it in the oven. Oven roasted squash recipe is very easy – just coat the squash pieces with olive oil, sprinkle with spices and roast in the oven until soft. The process of making roasted squash is exactly the same as for making roasted potatoes!
To prepare the squash for roasting, first peel it, then cut the the squash in half and remove the seeds, then cut the squash into chunks. Whole Foods often sells squash chunks next to the cut-up fruit, so if you are looking for a shortcut, you can buy the cut-up squash 🙂
You can roast the squash with or without the spices. I like spiced squash with cinnamon and cumin – I think these spices go so well with the squash and take it from bland to amazing!
The most popular squash for roasting is the orange butternut squash. In addition to the butternut squash, you can roast all other kind of squash – acorn squash, yellow squash, kabocha squash and even pumpkin! Yes, pumpkin is a kind of squash, and now you will have another pumpkin recipe in addition to the pumpkin pie 🙂
Oven Roasted Squash Recipe
Ingredients For Roasted Squash
- Olive oil
- Cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper
Instructions How To Make Roasted Squash
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the squash and cut it in half. Scoop out the seed with the spoon and discard.
- Cut the peeled squash into 1-inch chunks.
- Put the squash pieces in a bowl.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil over the squash and toss with your hands so the squash is coated with oil.
- Put the squash pieces on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the squash pieces with cinnamon and cumin (about 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of cumin for 1 squash).
- Put the squash in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the roasted squash from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy your oven roasted squash – it’s so healthy and tasty! Also, check out my other roasted vegetable recipes: how to make roasted sweet potatoes, how to make roasted cauliflower, how to make roasted broccoli.