This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This watermelon bread is amazing! Easy to make and delicious, made with real watermelon!
I love making breads with real fruit in them – check out my recipes for strawberry bread, apple bread, blackberry bread and lemon bread :) So this watermelon bread was the next logical thing to add to my fruit bread collection!
Look at this mouthwatering loaf! Awesome texture, amazing taste and it uses real fresh watermelon! And the addition of raisins is a fun imitation of watermelon seeds ;)
Watermelon bread uses very simple ingredients – flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, salt, raisins and, of course, real fresh watermelon! Just puree fresh watermelon chunks in a food processor or blender, mix with other ingredients and pour into a loaf pan, then bake. That’s it! Homemade watermelon bread is ready!
To get the picture-perfect red color, I used the red food coloring. This is totally optional of course, but if you want your bread to look red, add it. It only affects the color, not the taste.
Tip: the recipe uses 1 cup of fresh watermelon puree. If you have more watermelon that you want to use up and you’d like your bread to have more pronounced watermelon flavor, use more watermelon puree and boil it in a pot until it reduces to 1 cup.
This watermelon bread freezes very well. Just slice it and wrap each slice in plastic wrap or put each slice in ziploc bag, then freeze. To enjoy a slice of watermelon bread for breakfast, place the frozen slice on the counter overnight and it will be perfectly thawed by the morning. Or you can simply quick-thaw it in a microwave! Enjoy!
If you like watermelon bread, you will also love these easy recipes:
Blackberry Bread – OMG, look at this epic purple color! That’s blackberries in their finest! This bread is loaded with fresh blackberries and tastes amazing!
Sugar-Free Watermelon Popsicles – so healthy and natural! Since watermelon is naturally sweet, no added sugar is needed!
Pickled Watermelon Slices – sweet and savory, taste out of this world! If you never tried pickled watermelon, you owe it to yourself to give this a try!
Watermelon Gazpacho Soup – perfectly refreshing chilled soup, so yummy! Make in minutes in a blender, no cooking needed!
Watermelon Feta Salad – this is perfect for picnics! This watermelon salad is so unique!
Watermelon Bread Made With Fresh Watermelon
- 1 1/2 cup watermelon chunks
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- 1 tsp red food coloring optional
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a non-stick 9x5 inch loaf pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the watermelon chunks into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. It should yield about 1 cup of pureed watermelon. If you have more, only use 1 cup, if you have less, add enough water to equal 1 cup.
- Put butter and sugar into a large bowl and mix until combined. Add the eggs and mix until combined. Add the watermelon puree and mix until combined. If using the food coloring, add it and mix until combined.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Add the raisins (if using) and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan. Put in the oven and bake the watermelon bread for 1 hour.