This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This leftover bread breakfast casserole is amazing! Even if your bread pieces are all torn up into irregular shapes and crumbs, they make an outstanding french toast bake!
Once you try making this mouthwatering breakfast french toast bake, you’ll never throw out leftover bread ever again! Browse all my recipes for using food scraps and leftovers to minimize food waste and turn trash into treasure :)
I have a similar recipe on this site called French Toast Bake, but it has a different presentation as it uses whole bread pieces as opposed to irregular shaped bread pieces and crumbs. If you have odd pieces left from people digging into bread with their hands as opposed to neat slices (as it often happens with homemade bread), this breakfast casserole is a perfect way to use up those odd bread pieces!
If you like challah bread, this is a perfect way to use up leftover challah! (If you want to make challah from scratch, check out my authentic challah recipe). Since challah is typically not sliced but torn up by hand, those challah pieces are a perfect material for this leftover bread breakfast casserole! And if you do have neat challah slices, use them to make challah french toast!
This easy breakfast casserole is so delicious! Bread pieces are soaked in a mixture of milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla, then baked in the oven till puffy golden-brown perfection!
How To Make Breakfast Casserole With Leftover Bread
Making this yummy breakfast bake with leftover bread is super easy! First, preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a non-stick square 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray or grease it with butter. Cut leftover bread into 1-inch cubes (or just tear into small pieces with your hands) and put it in the baking dish in a single layer. On the picture below, I used leftover homemade challah that I just torn up into pieces.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar (the exact proportions are in the recipe card at the end of this article).
Pour the milk mixture over the bread pieces and sprinkle some more sugar on top. Let the bread soak for 10 minutes.
Bake the leftover bread casserole for 30 minutes, or until set.
Slice the leftover breakfast bake into pieces and serve warm with maple syrup.
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
You can easily make this leftover bread casserole ahead of time and bake it later. Simply assemble the casserole the night before, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. This way the bread will have extra time to soak up all the milk and be extra soft and flavorful. Bake the casserole in the morning, so it will be piping hot and fresh for breakfast!
If you don’t finish this breakfast bake all at once, you can refrigerate it for later. Simply warm the leftovers in a microwave before serving and enjoy!
More Ways To Use Up Leftover Bread
Check out my other recipes for more ideas on what to make with leftover bread:
- Instant Pot Bread Pudding – if you own an Instant Pot, you must make this bread pudding, it’s out of this world!
- Food Processor Bread Crumbs – this recipe shows you how to make fresh bread crumbs or dried bread crumbs from leftover bread simply using your food processor! Then use those homemade bread crumbs to make amazing breaded chicken :)
- Parmesan Garlic Toast – bake leftover bread slices in the oven with fresh garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese!
Leftover Bread Breakfast Casserole
- 3 cups leftover bread cubed
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
Recommended Kitchen Tools (click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8x8 square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with butter).
- Put the bread cubes in the baking dish in a single layer.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, 2 tbsp of sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour over the bread cubes, springle the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar on top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Put the baking dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until set.