This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This made-from-scratch upside-down pineapple cake is amazing! Juicy pineapple and brown sugar layer on top and tender soft vanilla cake on the bottom! Truly mouthwatering and best ever!
This is the only upside-down pineapple cake recipe you’ll ever need! It’s super easy to make and comes out perfect every time!
Making this upside-down pineapple cake is super easy. It’s a one-bowl recipe that doesn’t even require a mixer – the ingredients mix together easily by hand with a spoon!
You can use fresh or canned pineapple for this recipe. I love using fresh pineapple, it’s so delicious! Cutting pineapple into chunks is really easy if you follow my simple method on how to cut a pineapple.
Many upside-down pineapple cake recipes use a boxed yellow cake mix, but this one is totally from scratch! Why use a cake mix when making your own is so easy? And the taste difference is huge! Homemade from scratch is a clear winner!
How To Make Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Step 1: Prepare the pineapple layer
Melt butter in a 9×13 inch non-stick baking pan, then sprinkle with brown sugar and add a layer of pineapple chunks.
Step 2: Make the batter
Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt) in a large bowl. Add the liquid ingredients (vegetable oil, milk, eggs and vanilla) and mix until smooth. You can mix it with a spoon – no mixer needed!
Step 3: Pour batter over pineapple layer
Pour the cake batter into the baking pan so it evenly covers the pineapple layer.
Step 4: Bake the cake
Bake the pineapple upside-down cake for 1 hour at 350F.
Step 5: Invert the cake
Once the pineapple cake is baked, loosen the sides of the cake from the pan by running the knife around the pan, then put a large platter or baking sheet on top and flip the cake over.
Now the pineapple layer is on top and the pineapple cake is a propper UPSIDE-DOWN pineapple cake :)
Slice the pineapple upside-down cake into squares and enjoy! It is delicious warm or at room temperature!
If you have any pineapple chunks left over after making this cake, use them up to make pineapple salsa, bacon-wrapped pineapple, pineapple pizza or pineapple shrimp stir-fry. Here’s to non-stop pineapple yum!
If you like this easy pineapple upside-down cake, you will love these other easy cake recipes:
Cherry Crumble Cake – so tender and delicious with a sweet cherry filling!
Orange Bundt Cake – full of orange flavor and super moist!
Chocolate Truffle Cake – this is the king of all cakes, chocolate cake with chocolate cream and chocolate truffles on top!
Cinnamon Roll Cake – cinnamon roll in a cake form, this is the easiest way to get your fix of homemade cinnamon rolls!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – it’s like a giant chocolate chip cookie in a cake form, amazing!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake With Fresh or Canned Pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pour melted butter in a non-stick 9x13 baking pan and distribute evenly so the bottom of the pan is coated with butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter. Add the pineapple chunks to the pan and distribute them in an even layer.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Add oil, mil, eggs and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix all the ingredient thoroughly until smooth (you can mix by hand with a spoon or with an electric mixer).
- Pour the batter evenly into the pan over the pineapple layer.
- Put the pineapple cake in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the cake for the oven and run a knife around the sides of the pan to make sure the cake sides are separated from the pan.
- Put a large platter or baking sheet over the cake pan and quickly flip the cake over. Carefully lift the baking pan off the inverted cake.
- Pineapple upside-down cake can be served warm or at room temperature.