Filet mignon is the most expensive cut of beef, and it also makes the most delicious steak. Filet mignon is so tender and juicy, it’s the king of all steaks!
Buying filet mignon in the restaurant will cost you $30-$40 per person (for an 8 oz steak). If you love filet mignon steak but want to save money, buy filet mignon in a supermarket and cook it yourself! The price of fillet mignon in a supermarket is around $14 per pound, so it will run you only $7 for an 8 oz steak – that’s just a quarter of the restaurant price!
Cooking filet mignon at home saves at least 75% compared to the price of filet mignon in a restaurant. If you are on a budget and want to eat filet mignon, the choice between the restaurant and cooking it at home is a non-brainer!
Best of all, cooking filet mignon steak at home is very easy and takes less than 10 minutes. Follow these tips and cook a perfect filet mignon – you’ll surely enjoy the results!
- 2 lbs filet mignon steak
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the filet mignon steak.
- Set the timer for 4 minutes. Do not touch the steak until the timer beeps!
- Flip the filet mignon to another side.
- Set the timer again for 4 minutes. Do not touch the steak - just let it cook undisturbed.
- Remove the filet mignon from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Filet Mignon Cooking Times
You can adjust the cooking time of the filet mignon depending on how you like your steak: rare, medium or well-done. In the above recipe, the cooking time of 4 minutes per side produces medium filet mignon.
Here are the cooking times for a 1-inch thick filet mignon:
Rare: 2.5 minutes per side
Medium-rare: 3.5 minutes per side
Medium: 4 minutes per side
Medium-well: 5 minutes per side
Well-done: 7 minutes per side
Here’s the picture of 3 filet mignon steaks cooking on a frying pan – ready to be flipped!
If you have any leftover steak, check out my yummy steak salad recipe – it’s a great way to enjoy your leftovers the next day!