Did you know that the pita bread makes a great instant pizza crust? If you have a package of pita breads at home, you can make very tasty individual pizzas in less than 20 minutes!
Making a pita pizza is very easy – just use the round pita as a pizza base, add tomato sauce, toppings and cheese and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. You can even have a pita pizza making party where everyone picks their own toppings to put on the pita pizza – so fun!
You can use any kind of pita bread for making pizzas – it doesn’t matter if the pita has a pocket inside or not. Any pita baked in the hot oven with the toppings makes a yummy pizza crust.
This recipe makes a quite unusual pizza – a chicken onion pita pizza :) The toppings for this pizza are chicken pieces and onion slices, added on top of tomato sauce and sprinkled with cheese – so filling and yummy! Also, using the chicken pieces as a pizza topping is just one of the great ways to use leftover chicken! If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, you can also use canned chicken.
- 4 pita breads
- 1 can (8 oz) chopped chicken
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded cheese
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Put the pita bread on a baking sheet.
- Brush the pita bread with olive oil.
- Spoon some tomato sauce on the pita and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning over the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the pita pizza.
- Add the chicken pieces and onion slices on top.
- Put the pita pizza in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
Enjoy this yummy chicken onion pita pizza! For more pita recipes, check out sausage pita pockets recipe, pita chips recipe and pita dough recipe.