This colorful festive salad is a delicious way to eat your kale! Chopped-up kale leaves are tossed with the extra-virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice dressing, and topped with sweet orange slices and crunchy slivered almonds. The strong leafy kale greens are mellowed out by the sweetness of the oranges, and the almonds add a delicious crispness to this healthy yummy salad!
I made this salad out of red kale, which is just one of the varieties of kale. If you are wondering why the leaves on the photo are green as opposed to red, well, that’s what red kale looks like :) It actually looks more red when the leaves are whole – it has dark green leaves with purplish red veins and red stems. In the supermarket, when you see red kale next to green kale, you’ll know immediately which one is red. Red and green kale taste exactly the same to my taste buds, so of course you can make this salad out of any type of kale :)
For the almond topping for this red kale salad, I used the recipe for toasted sugared slivered almonds that I posted earlier. If you want to avoid extra sugar, you can just use plain slivered almonds. But if you are making this salad for company and want a truly festive topping with sweet crunchy and addictive nuts, take the extra step of making the sugared almonds – they are so worth it!
You can serve this red kale salad with the almonds and orange slices on top, or you can mix them in. The top photo has the toppings on top of the salad (so you can even barely see the kale), and the photo below has everything mixed together. Now you can even see the red veins on the kale leaves :)
If you think kale leaves are hard, wait till you try making it the right way. To make kale softer, you need to squeeze the chopped kale with your hands really hard for several minutes after you add the dressing, in a similar motion to kneading the dough. Don’t worry, the leaves won’t be mushy – the texture of kale after you squeeze it like this will be very similar to regular salad leaves that people are accustomed to.
- 1 bunch of red kale (or you can use other kinds of kale)
- ½ cup slivered almonds (plain or sugared - see how to make toasted sugared slivered almonds)
- 1 can orange slices, drained
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- Wash the kale leaves, then cut off and discard the stems and large veins.
- Fit the food processor with a top round slicing disk, and use the food processor to slice the kale.
- Squeeze the lemon into a cup.
- Add the olive oil to the lemon juice and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Put the chopped kale in a large bowl and pour dressing over it.
- Toss the kale with your hands and "massage" it for several minutes until softened.
- Add the orange slices and slivered almonds and toss.