Russian meat patties a.k.a “kotlety” is a very popular Russian main dish. Russian kotlety meat patties are made out of the ground meat mixture that is shaped into patties and pan-fried. You can make these Russian meat patties out of any kind of ground meat: ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken or ground turkey. You can also mix different kinds of meat for kotlety meat patties – for example, you can mix 1/2 lb of ground beef with 1/2 lb of ground pork.
The meat mixture for Russian meat patties is similar to the meatloaf mixture – ground meat is mixed with minced onion, egg and bread. The recipe for Russian meat patties kotlety is a very easy, and these patties are very delicious. If you like meatloaf, you will surely like Russian kotlety!
Russian Meat Patties (Kotlety) Recipe
Ingredients For Kotlety:
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oil
Instructions How To Make Russian Meat Patties:
- Put bread slices in a small bowl with water.
- Put the ground meat in another bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the egg and onion to the meat. Take the bread slices out of the water and add to the meat.
- Mix the meat mixture with your hands until everything is combined.
- Put breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Preheat the oil in 2 large non-stick frying pans (1 tbsp of oil in each pan) over medium-high heat.
- With your hands, form the meat mixture into patties one at a time, put each meat patty on a plate with breadcrumbs, then flip and put another side in breadcrumbs, so the meat patties are coated with breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Put meat patties on the frying pan so they are not touching. Pan-fry for 7 minutes on each side (or until cooked through – no longer pink in center).
The classic side dish for Russian kotlety meat patties is mashed potatoes – read more on how to make perfect mashed potatoes.