This vegetarian eggplant lasagna is an easy and yummy meatless main dish! First, eggplant slices are baked, then layered with the tomato sauce and ricotta cheese and topped with shredded mozzarella. The eggplant lasagna is then baked in the oven, so it’s piping hot and the top cheese is melted – yum!
Making vegetarian lasagna follows the same logic as making regular lasagna (see how to make lasagna), except the eggplant is used instead of pasta. The eggplant is much healthier than pasta, and vegetarian lasagna is so good for you. If you are on a low carb diet, you can still enjoy lasagna if you make it out of the eggplant!
Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Eggplant Lasagna Ingredients
- 1 large eggplant (or 2 small eggplants)
- 1 package (8 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (1 lb) pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper
Instructions How To Make Eggplant Lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel the eggplant and slice lengthwise into slices that are 1/4 inch thick.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the eggplant slices on the baking sheet in a single layer (if they don’t fit, put the rest on another baking sheet).
- Brush the eggplant slices with oil. Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and sprinkle with 3/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper.
- Put half of the eggplant slices in a non-stick 8×12 baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour 1 cup of the pasta sauce over them and spread evenly.
- Mix ricotta cheese with 1/4 tsp salt. Spread ricotta on top of the eggplant slices.
- Pour half of the remaining tomato sauce over ricotta cheese.
- Put the remaining eggplant slices on top in a single layer.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce on top of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna evenly with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Enjoy this yummy vegetarian eggplant lasagna! If you are looking for more healthy lasagna recipes, check out healthy turkey lasagna recipe. If you are on a low carb diet, you must check out the portobello pizza recipe and stuffed portobello mushrooms.