This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Summer is a great time to make grilled onions! Onions cooked on the grill are very flavorful – they are caramelized and smoky at the same time!
You can grill onions by cutting them into quarters and putting those big onion pieces directly on a skewer. Or if you prefer smaller onion slices, you can grill them on top of foil – just like the picture above. The foil prevents the thin onion slices from falling into the grill. It is so convenient – just lift the foil with the onions when they are done and put on the table – no mess and no cleanup!
Recipe: Grilled Sliced Onions In Foil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Instructions How To Make Grilled Onions
- Toss the onion slices with olive oil.
- Put the onions on a sheet of foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold the foil and close it to make a foil pocket.
- Put the onions in foil on the grill. Cook the onions for 35 minutes.
- To serve, take the foil packet with onions off the grill. Unwrap the foil to reveal tasty caramelized grilled onions!
If you don’t have a grill, you can also make grilled onions by using a broiler in your oven. To broil onions, preheat the oven to Broil, then put the foil pocket with the onion slices on the top oven shelf.
Enjoy these tasty grilled onions – they are really good! You can grill them at the same time when grilling meat for the main course. For more great grilling recipes, check out grilled filet mignon and grilled hot dog kabobs.