This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
Cooking fish in foil packets is the easiest way to cook fish ever! Fish in the foil packets will never burn, never stick and never fall into the grill! Best of all, no mess and no cleanup!
This recipe is so simple, this will be the easiest fish recipe you will ever make! You can grill or bake fish using this method, and when you unwrap the foil packet you will get a perfectly cooked fish, and best of all – no cleanup! All you need to do is put pieces of butter and lemon slices on the fish fillet, wrap fish in foil and then throw it on the grill (or in the oven). That’s it! When the fish is ready, you just unwrap the foil packet to reveal beautifully cooked lemon-butter fish – amazing!
If you ever tried grilling fish, you know how difficult it can be to keep fish from sticking to the grill, or worse yet, from flaking and falling into the grill! This breakthrough method of grilling fish in foil packets will allow you to grill fish perfectly every time, without any mess!
Another awesome feature of this recipe is that the fish servings are pre-portioned in the foil packets and are easy to transport. Just pack the fish in foil packets into the cooler to grill later – super easy! Even those without any grilling experience can put the foil packets on the grill, then flip them with a spatula, and then take the fish off the grill and eat it :)
Fish in the foil packets also looks very impressive – these foil packets make a unique and interesting presentation! It’s a great conversation starter, and I guarantee that those people who haven’t seen this way of cooking fish before will ask you for the recipe!
If you’d like to cut calories, feel free to use half the amount of butter or omit the butter altogether – the fish will still taste awesome!
How To Cook Fish In Foil Packets
Step 1: Put the fish on the foil.
Lay out the sheet of foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Put the fish on the foil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and your favorite seasonings. Put chunks of butter and lemon slices on top of the fish.
Step 2: Close the foil around the fish to form a foil packet.
First fold the foil over the fish lengthwise:
And then fold the ends to form a foil packet:
Step 3: Cook the fish in a foil packet.
On the grill: cook on pre-heated closed grill (Medium-high) for 7 minutes per side.
In the oven: cook in pre-heated 400F oven for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Check for doneness.
Unwrap 1 fish packet to make sure fish is cooked (opaque and flakes easily with a fork).
Fish In Foil Packets Recipe (Grilled or Baked)!
- If grilling, preheat the grill to Medium-High.
- If baking, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Prepare 4 sheets of foil, put them on the counter and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the butter into 8 pieces.
- Put each fish fillet in the middle of the foil sheet.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper.
- Put 2 pieces of butter on top of each fish fillet.
- Put the lemon slices on top of the fish.
- Fold the foil up from both ends to make closed foil packets.
- If grilling, put the foil packets on the grill, close the grill and grill for 7 minutes per side.
- If baking, put the foil packets on the baking sheet, put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap 1 foil packet to check for doneness (the fish should be opaque and flake easily with a fork). If not done, wrap it back and cook the fish for 5 more minutes.