If you like Chipotle’s veggie burrito bowl, you are going to go nuts about this lunch! The contents of Chipotle-style vegan Mexican burrito bowl are made at home and layered beautifully in a mason jar!
I created this salad when I felt like having Chipotle-style lunch without actually having to leave the house to go to Chipotle! It’s modeled after the Chipotle vegetarian burrito bowl – the ingredients that I use are exactly the same as the ones I request when ordering a burrito bowl at Chipotle. The ingredients are: brown rice, black beans, fajitas (cooked green peppers and onions), corn, avocado and salsa. Yum!
This Mexican burrito bowl mason jar salad is vegan, but it surely fills you up! I’m not a vegetarian and definitely not a vegan – I eat everything, but when I just feel like taking a break from meat and having something lighter and healthier, this Mexican vegan burrito bowl certainly hits the spot! I love this stuff – it’s so filling and delicious, you for sure won’t miss the meat!
The ingredients in this Mexican mason jar salad are so healthy and wholesome, yet so hearty and delicious! Black beans give you protein, brown rice gives you fiber and complex carbs, avocado delivers fat – this is such a complete balanced meatless meal! Yellow sweet corn gives it juicy sweetness, and the zesty salsa gives it punch – what more could you ask for?
Making this amazing mason jar salad is pretty easy – saute onion and green pepper slices (fajitas – yay!), open a few cans, mash some avocado and voila! If you own a rice cooker, cooking brown rice is as easy as pressing a button! I love my rice cooker – it’s one of my most frequently used gadgets, it makes perfect rice with no effort on my part whatsoever! It can make both white and brown rice – if you never made brown rice in a rice cooker, see my easy instructions for perfect rice cooker brown rice.
Why mason jar? Why not! Seriously, you don’t have to use the mason jar – if you are going to eat this Mexican burrito bowl right away, skip the jar and just put all the ingredients on your plate and eat it all up :) But if you are making this meal ahead of time, you are going to love the mason jars! They keep the food fresh for 5 days – somehow the salads in those mason jars lasts longer than in plastic containers. Plus the visual appeal of the mason jar – the salad layers in those jars just look so good, and we eat with our eyes first!
Having this awesome mason jar Mexican bowl in your refrigerator is such a treat! You will never ever skip your healthy lunch in favor of some junk when the Mexican veggie burrito bowl mason jar is waiting for you in your fridge!
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (or you can use white)
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green peppers
- 1 can corn
- 2 avocados
- ½ lime
- 1 jar (8 oz) salsa
- 2 cups lettuce (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and green pepper slices and cook, stirring every minute, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion and pepper slices from the frying pan and let them cool completely before adding to the mason jars.
- Mash the avocado with a fork in a bowl and squeeze the lime over it. Mix the mashed avocado with lime juice until combined.
- Divide the rice between 4 mason jars and put it on the bottom of the jars.
- Put the beans on top of the rice.
- Put the cooked onion and green pepper slices on top of the beans.
- Put the corn on top of the onion and pepper slices.
- Put the avocado on top of the corn.
- Put the salsa on top of the avocado.
- Add lettuce leaves on top (press them into the jar so they fit).
- Close the mason jars and refrigerate for up to 5 days.