Who says that meatloaf can only be made with beef and pork? If you are watching your calories or simply are trying to limit your consumption of red meat, I have great news for you – you can make a delicious meatloaf out of lean ground turkey! Ground turkey is much healthier than a traditional meatloaf mixture of ground beef and pork, and this meatloaf tastes delicious!
If you’ve been disappointed in the past by the dry and crumbly turkey meatloaf from the “prepared foods” section of the grocery store, you have to try the homemade version. This turkey meatloaf is moist, juicy and very flavorful – you will never miss the traditional meatloaf mix of fatty beef and pork. It uses Worcestershire sauce and minced onion for the flavoring, soaked bread for moisture and caramelized ketchup for the topping!
This healthy turkey meatloaf recipe is very easy to make and uses common ingredients that can be found in a pantry and freezer. Many times when I don’t feel like going to the grocery store I look around the kitchen (pantry, counter, refrigerator, freezer) and find all necessary ingredients to make a meatloaf. Just combine ground turkey, grated onion, bread, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, spread with ketchup, put in the oven and bake. When the oven timer beeps, dinner is ready!
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the bread slices in a bowl and pour water over them.
- Put the ground turkey and grated onion in a large bowl.
- Take the bread out of the water and add to the turkey (don't squeeze the water out of the bread).
- Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce over the turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix the turkey, onion and bread until everything is combined and smooth.
- Put the meatloaf mixture on a baking sheet and shape into a log.
- Put the ketchup on top of the meatloaf.
- Put the turkey meatloaf in the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until the instant-read thermometer registers the internal temperature of 170 F degrees.
If you are looking for more healthy recipes with ground turkey, see lasagna recipe with ground turkey and ground turkey meatballs recipe.