This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
This chicken teryaki recipe is very simple and easy to make. Chicken teryaki is a universal favorite – most people like chicken teryaki, and a lot of kids like it too! You can use bottled teriyaki sauce or easily make your own teriyaki sauce by mixing soy sauce, brown sugar and mirin.
The recipe below shows how to make chicken teriyaki from scratch quickly and easily – even the teryaki sauce. The homemade teriyaki sauce is made by mixing soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and mirin (Japanese rice wine, usually sold in the same isle as the soy sauce). Even the beginning cook can make this recipe and impress your family and friends!
This chicken teriyaki recipe tastes very authentic – just like the chicken in the Japanese restaurant (like Benihana) Bento box :) Who needs the takeout when you can make your own delicious teriyaki chicken!
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and put in a bowl.
- Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin and vinegar for the teriyaki sauce.
- Pour half of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken pieces. Reserve the remaining teriyaki sauce.
- Leave the chicken to marinate in the teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying fan over medium-high heat. Put the chicken pieces on the frying pan and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes or until cooked through (no longer pink in center).
- Mix the remaining teryaki sauce with the cornstarch. Add this sauce to the frying pan and mix with the chicken. Keep stirring for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
Enjoy this easy yummy chicken teryaki! I usually serve it over rice, and I always cook white rice in a rice cooker.