This post may contain affiliate links (disclosure).
If you haven’t been using fresh dill in your salads, you need to try this dill cucumber salad recipe to see what you’ve been missing! Dill and cucumber are made for each other – dill pickles, anyone? Thinly sliced cucumber is combined with fresh dill and red onion slices, and dressed with fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. So healthy and delicious!
This crunchy refreshing cucumber dill salad will surely get you out of a salad rut! If all your salads include lettuce leaves in some form, step outside the box and hold the lettuce on this one. Lemony cucumber with aromatic dill and zippy onions will be a perfect accompaniment to any meal. Serve this cucumber dill salad with meat, chicken, fish or pasta – this salad is so healthy and flavorful, and it will be a great addition to your dinner.
I always wonder why dill is not a commonly used herb in the United States, as it’s healthy, tasty and easy to grow. Parsley and cilantro are super popular and get their own shelf in a supermaret, while dill is usually tucked away with the “gourmet” herbs. This is a huge difference from Russia where I spend the first 16 years of my life – there dill is extremely widely used and added to salads, soups and sprinkled as a garnish on many savory dishes. So because I grew up with dill, I love to add this tasty herb to my food and I hope you too will start using it more after you try my easy cucumber dill salad recipe!
Like most herbs, dill is very nutritious and good for you. Dill has numerous health benefits – it is a great source of Vitamin A, C, Folate, Riboflavin, Manganese, Iron, Calcium and Potassium, as well as anti-oxidants. So here’s another reason to make yourself some cucumber dill salad :)
- 2 long seedless English cucumbers (or 4 regular cucumbers)
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Peel the cucumbers and cut into thin slices. Put in a large bowl.
- Chop the fresh dill and add it to cucumber slices.
- Peel the onion and slice it as thinly as possible. Add onion slices to cucumbers.
- In a cup, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil to make a dressing.
- Add the dressing to the salad.
- Sprinkle the cucumber dill salad with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad with your hands until all the cucumbers are coated with the dressing.
- Add more salt to taste if needed.