This spicy garlic eggplant spread is made with roasted eggplant, carrots, bell peppers, tomato sauce and, of course, garlic! This blend of flavors is so zesty, bright and addictive!
This garlic eggplant is served cold and it makes a perfect party appetizer. There are many way to serve this eggplant spread – you can serve it as a dip with pita bread, or you can spread it on crackers, bread slices or bruschetta. You can also eat it with a spoon as a spicy salad or side dish. You can also use it as a sauce – spoon the garlic eggplant on top of a chicken breast or fish, and it will really spice up their flavor.
Spicy Garlic Eggplant Spread Recipe
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line the baking sheet with foil. Put the eggplant on it and pierce with a fork. Put eggplant in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, peel and chop the onions, peel the carrots and shred them in a food processor, and core and slice the bell pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, peel and mince the garlic.
- When the eggplant is done cooking, remove it from the oven. Carefully cut it in half and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Scoop the flesh out of the eggplant with a spoon and discard the peel. Chop up the eggplant flesh.
- Add the eggplant, minced garlic, tomato sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper to the onion mixture in a frying pan. Mix thoroughly until combined. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- If necessary, add more salt to taste.
- Remove the garlic eggplant spread from heat. Let it cool, then chill in the refrigerator overnight. Serve cold.
Enjoy this yummy spicy garlic eggplant spread – it’s so addictive! If you like eggplant spreads, also check out Eggplant Caviar – it’s also really good!