Pasta with alfredo sauce is a very easy vegetarian main dish. Making your own alfredo sauce from scratch is very easy. My alfredo sauce recipe uses only 4 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to make. Once you try this easy alfredo sauce recipe, you will never want to use the alfredo sauce from the can.
This easy Alfredo sauce recipe makes enough Alfredo sauce for 1 pound of pasta. This quantity of the sauce will coat the pasta, but it will not be swimming in the sauce. So if you like more Alfredo sauce for your pasta, just double the recipe.
You can cook the pasta at the same time while making your Alfredo sauce. Before making the Alfredo sauce, bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add the pasta to the pot of boiling water, and make the Alfredo sauce while the pasta is cooking. Your pasta and Alfredo sauce will finish cooking at about the same time! Drain the pasta and mix with Alfredo sauce, and you’ll have a delicious hot dinner – in less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
This Alfredo sauce uses Parmesan cheese – you need freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese. Do not use the powdered Parmesan cheese from the can – it has grainy texture. If you don’t have freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, you can substitute it with Gruyere cheese or shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Pasta with Alfredo sauce is the ultimate weeknight meal – just 5 ingredients (including the pasta), all the ingredients are found in any grocery store and it takes under 20 minutes to prepare! This recipe is simply perfect for those busy weeknights.
- ¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese (freshly grated or shredded, not powdered)
- 1 lb pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, make the Alfredo sauce.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Once it starts simmering, reduce heat to low to keep at a gentle simmer - do not let it boil.
- Add minced garlic and Parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese melts (for about 2 minutes).
- Pour the Alfredo sauce over cooked and drained pasta, and toss to combine.
Enjoy your pasta with easy alfredo sauce! If you’d like a lighter version of Alfredo sauce, you can substitute heavy cream with half and half. If you like pasta, also check out my easy meat lasagna recipe – yum!