Stuffed baked sweet potato recipe makes a wonderful vegetarian main dish. What I really like about this recipe is that even though it’s a vegetarian recipe, most meat-eaters like it too. Stuffed baked sweet potato is a very yummy meatless dinner that doesn’t involve tofu 🙂
Sweet potatoes (also called yams) are so tasty when baked, and go so well with melted cheddar cheese! Sweet potatoes are also healthier than regular potatoes, so if you are used to baked white potatoes, go ahead and try baking a sweet potato – it’s so yummy and healthy! Hot baked sweet potato with tasty filling and hot gooey melted cheese on top is a meal that appeals to most people, vegetarian and meat-eaters alike.
Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Ingredients For Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Sliced mushrooms
- Any green vegetables (for example, green peppers, asparagus, green beans, etc.)
- Shredded cheese (cheddar is best)
- Olive oil
Instructions How To Make Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Step 1: Bake The Sweet Potatoes. Preheat oven to 400F. Prick the sweet potatoes with a knife in a couple of places (so they don’t burst). Rub the sweet potatoes with olive oil. Line the baking sheet with foil and put potatoes on a baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Note: you can do this step in advance. Just throw the sweet potatoes in the oven, then take them out 1 1/2 hours later and refrigerate till you are ready to stuff them.
- Note 2: don’t be tempted to “bake” the sweet potato in a microwave unless you really have to. Microwaved version is a far cry for the real thing.
- Step 2: Cook the veggies. Slice the mushrooms and other vegetables. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the veggies until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 3: Stuff the sweet potatoes. Put the potato on a large plate, and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop the flesh out with the spoon and put it in a bowl (leave the potato skin on the plate). Mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork or a potato masher. Add the vegetables and combine using a spoon. Put the potato mixture back into the potato skin.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Microwave or bake until the sweet potato is warm and cheese has melted.
Enjoy your yummy stuffed baked sweet potato! Melted shredded cheese goes so well with the sweetness of the sweet potato!