Potato pancakes is a classic Jewish recipe, and the Jewish potato pancakes are called “latkes“. Latkes are traditionally made for the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah – the Festival of Lights – that happens in December.
This potato pancakes recipe is an authentic Jewish latkes recipe. Shredded potatoes and grated onions are mixed with an egg and a little flour and pan-fried until brown and crispy. Making latkes is really easy if you have a food processor. Food processor allows you to shred the potatoes and grate the onion in seconds!
The secrets for crispy latkes is to squeeze out as much liquid out of the potatoes as you can. The less liquid in the potatoes, the crispier are the potato pancakes! Also, make sure you preheat the frying pan enough so it’s hot before frying the latkes. If you follow these instructions, you’ll make the tastiest latkes ever!
Potato Pancakes Latkes Recipe
Ingredients For Potato Pancakes
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp oil
Instructions How To Make Potato Pancakes
- Shred the potatoes using the food processor (shredder disk).
- Put shredded potatoes in the colander in the sink, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- Grate the onion using the inside steel blade of the food processor.
- Mix potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat (I use 2 frying pans on 2 burners to save time or a double griddle).
- Form the potato mixture into patties (squeeze out excess liquid as you go) and put on a frying pan.
- Cook the potato pancakes for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes (or until golden-brown on both sides and cooked through). Check the potato pancakes from time to time and adjust the heat setting – if they are starting to turn too dark, the heat is too high, and if they are pale, it’s too low.
- Remove the latkes from the frying pan and serve immediately.
Potato pancakes taste best when served immediately – when reheated, they lose their crunch.
Serve the potato pancakes with apple sauce – apple sauce and latkes are a classic combination, they’ll go perfectly together!