These healthy baked plantain chips are so crispy, it’s hard to believe they are good for you! So crunchy and delicious, you just won’t be able to stop eating them!
Plantain chips are a classic Cuban recipe – I love eating them at Cuban restaurants! While the classic version of these plantain chips is deep fried, there is an easy way to make them healthy by baking them in the oven.
Not only are oven baked chips healthier than deep fried, they are also easier to make. Who wants to deal with the splattering oil? Not me, I don’t even own a deep fryer!
Please note that these are plantain chips, not banana chips. Even though plantains are in a banana family and look very similar to bananas, they are a totally different fruit. Do not attempt to make this recipe with bananas, it won’t work. Bananas won’t bake into a crispy chip, they’ll stay soft and mushy. Plantains on the other hand will turn into a crunchy chip when sliced thin, coated with olive oil and baked in the oven!
For these plantain chips, you need to use green underripe plantains. Plantains that are ripe are softer and don’t make as good of a chip.
Green plantains don’t peel the same way as bananas – their peel doesn’t come off easily. To peel plantains, cut off their tip and tail, then use a sharp pairing knife to just cut off the peel.
Once you peel the plantains, making baked plantain chips is easy. All you need to do is slice the plantain into thin slices, coat with olive oil, put on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 400F for 20 minutes (flipping the plantain chips halfway through the baking process). Season the plantain chips to your liking, they are awesome sprinkled with cinnamon, paprika or chili powder!
The slices can be round (that’s the easiest way) or lengthwise (like you see on the picture). I just sliced them lengthwise because that’s how they usually serve the plantain chips in Cuban restaurants 🙂 It doesn’t matter which way you slice the plantains, the only thing that matters is that the slices have to be thin.
If you like healthy baked plantain chips, I have a few other healthy oven baked veggie chips recipes for you:
Baked Sweet Potato Chips – crunchy chips made with the same technique from thinly sliced sweet potatoes!
Baked Kale Chips – this is the tastiest way to eat kale, these chips are so crunchy and delicious!
Baked Zucchini Chips – crunchy chips made from sliced zucchini!
- 2 green plantains
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper and spices to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the plantains with a sharp knife. Slice the plantains as thin as you can. You can slice them any direction you'd like - either the round slices, or lengthwise slices.
- Put plantain slices in a bowl and drizzle oil over them. Toss to coat with oil.
- Put the plantain slices on a baking sheet in a single layer, so they are not touching. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and desired seasonings.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Take out the baking sheet and carefully flip the plantain chips over, then put in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the plantain chips from the oven and serve.