Have you given up on making mashed potatoes because you just can’t get them right no matter what you do? Do your mashed potatoes always turn out gummy, lumpy, tasteless or just plain not good? Look no further – even you will be able to make perfect mashed potatoes when you follow this foolproof mashed potatoes recipe.
Making perfect mashed potatoes is very easy and doesn’t require many ingredients. There are 3 main tricks to perfect mashed potatoes:
1) Use the right kind of potato – only 2 kinds of potatoes (Russet potatoes and Yukon gold) make good mashed potatoes. Other kinds of potatoes are not good for making mashed potatoes.
2) Use the manual potato masher – electric food processors and mixers make the mashed potatoes turn gummy.
3) Warm the milk before adding to the potatoes – cold milk makes the mashed potato texture worse.
Follow my easy recipe for perfect mashed potatoes, and your mashed potatoes will turn out yummy every time!
Perfect Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Mashed Potatoes Ingredients
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions How To Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Put the potatoes in a pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and add 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes into a strainer, then put them back in a pot. Cut the butter into 4 pieces, and add the butter to the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with the potato masher until all the potatoes are mashed (there are no large chunks) and the butter is incorporated into the potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with pepper.
- Warm the milk in a microwave for about 40 seconds or until hot. Add the milk to the potatoes and mash with the potato masher until all the milk is incorporated into the potatoes.
- Taste the potatoes and see if they have enough salt and pepper (they will almost certainly need more salt). If they need more salt and pepper, add it a little bit at a time, mashing with a potato masher to incorporate, until the amount of salt and pepper is just right.
Mashed potatoes taste best when served immediately. Enjoy your perfect mashed potatoes! For more tips on making perfect mashed potatoes, see mashed potato secrets.