This Instant Pot pumpkin soup is amazing! So rich, smooth and full of flavor! Perfect creamy soup for Fall!
Celebrate the abundance of pumpkins with this homemade cream of pumpkin soup, made in your Instant Pot! As all my Instant Pot recipes, this pumpkin soup is extremely quick and easy to make!
This Instant Pot pumpkin soup is so comforting and rich tasting. Made with a medley of pumpkin, chicken broth, onions and spices and heavy cream, each spoonful is filled with a hearty down-to-earth flavor. This creamy soup looks so gourmet and elegant, nobody will guess that the whole thing takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish! (Printable recipe card with exact ingredient quantities is included on the bottom of this article.)
Making this cream of pumpkin soup is very easy. All you need to do is saute chopped onion with butter in the Instant Pot on a Saute setting, then add pumpkin puree, chicken broth and seasonings and pressure cook on High pressure for 5 minutes, followed by 5 minute natural release (NR) then quick release (QR). Stir in the heavy cream and puree the pumpkin soup with the immersion blender (to smooth out those onion bits). If you are too lazy to deal with the blender, just use 1 tsp onion powder instead of a real onion and skip the sauteeing step 🙂
Should you use canned or homemade pumpkin puree? Of course, homemade pumpkin puree is best, but canned will work well too! Did you know that you can make your own pumpkin puree in the Instant Pot? First, cook pumpkin in the Instant Pot and then blend in a food processor to make the fresh pumpkin puree!
If you like this Instant Pot pumpkin soup, you will also love these easy Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Cornbread – yes, you can use your Instant Pot to make cornbread! This cornbread is so tender and mouthwatering!
Instant Pot Banana Bread – and here’s another Instant Pot bread, this one is banana 🙂 It’s so moist and full of banana flavor!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash – you can make this pumpkin soup with butternut squash too! Just cook the squash in the Instant Pot according to my instructions, then puree it in a blender and proceed with a pumpkin soup recipe (using butternut squash puree instead of pumkin puree)!
Instant Pot Chili – this chili is so thick, hearty and comforting! Super easy to make – just dump the ingredients and press the button!
Instant Pot Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls – another hearty stew of cabbage, ground beef, rice and tomato sauce, perfect for a cold day!
Also see my pumpkin recipes page for all things pumpkin – pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin muffins, you name it!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot, set the time to 10 minutes and add butter. When the butter melts, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden-brown. Press the "Cancel" button to stop sauteing.
- Add the chicken broth and pumpkin puree to the Instant Pot and mix until combined (and the onions are mixed with liquid). Add brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and mix until combined. DO NOT add heavy cream at this point.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to a Sealing position. Press the "Pressure Cook" or "Manual" button and set the time to 5 minutes on High pressure.
- When it's done cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release (QR) the remaining steam.
- Add the heavy cream to the Instant Pot. Use the immersion blender to blend the pumpkin soup. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.