This onion beef stew recipe uses just 2 ingredients – beef and onions! When the onions are cooked for a long time with the beef in a slow cooker, they turn into an onion sauce. You get super-tender beef that melts in your mouth and a delicious onion sauce that you can dunk your bread into!
This onion beef stew is a true slow cooker recipe – all you need is a slow cooker and no other kind of cooking (such as frying pan or oven) is necessary. Many slow cooker beef stew recipes ask you to brown meat in a frying pan before transferring it to slow cooker – well, not this one. Making this onion beef stew is as easy as putting cut-up beef and chopped onions directly in a slow cooker and pressing the “Start” button. There is no excuse on not making this onion beef stew – it’s the easiest and laziest main dish possible :)
Onion Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 lbs cut-up beef (labeled “beef stew” in a supermarket)
- 8 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions How To Make Onion Beef Stew
- Put beef and onions and in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss beef and onions so it’s all combined.
- Set the slow cooker on either 4 hours on “High” or 8 hours on “Low”.
- Press the “Start” button on the slow cooker :)
Number of servings: 6
Here’s a picture of slow cooker onion beef stew served with make ahead mashed potatoes: