If you are looking to make a healthy main dish, you should make the turkey meatballs. Turkey meatballs are very easy to make and very healthy – turkey meat is lean and good for you.
If you use ground turkey breast, the meatballs will be virtually fat free. Even if you use dark turkey meat, these meatballs will still be much leaner than the beef meatballs.
Healthy turkey meatballs are also very tasty. This healthy meatball recipe will show you how to make very yummy turkey meatballs that are juicy, tender and full of flavor.
You can serve healthy turkey meatballs over pasta, or for even healthier side dish check out my recipe for oven roasted sweet potatoes – these yummy sweet potatoes go really well with turkey meatballs!
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 jar (1 lb) pasta sauce
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 slices of bread (regular or whole wheat)
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- Put the bread slices in a bowl and pour water over them.
- Put the ground turkey in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Take the bread slices out of the water and add to the turkey. Break up the bread slices by squeezing them with your hands.
- Add the minced onion to the turkey. Mix turkey, onion and bread until everything is combined.
- Prepare 2 large non-stick frying pans. Heat ½ tbsp oil in each frying pan over medium-high heat. Shape the turkey mixture into meatballs and put on the frying pans.
- Brown the meatballs for about 4 minutes, then carefully flip each meatball with a spatula and brown on another side for 3 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pot that will fit all the meatballs. Carefully move the meatballs from the frying pan to the pot, just put the meatballs in layers on top of one another. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the meatballs.
- Cook the pot with meatballs over high heat until the tomato sauce boils, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.