All traditional collard green recipes advise boiling collard greens in a pot of water. Boiling collard greens reduces their health benefits – most of the vitamins and nutrients end up in a water that turns green and gets drained away. In addition, many classic collard green recipes add bacon or ham to collard greens after boiling them – and that certainly turns healthy collard greens into something unhealthy.
To cook collard greens the healthy way, do not boil them – just saute them in a pan. This way, no nutrients are lost during cooking. And of course, don’t add the bacon!
In this healthy collard greens recipe, the collard greens are cooked in a frying pan with olive oil and garlic. This recipe is very easy – no messy boiling to deal with!
Recipe: How To Cook Collard Greens The Healthy Way
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
- 1 bunch collard greens, rinsed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Put the collard greens on a frying pan and stir. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring periodically, for 4 minutes or until the collard greens are wilted.
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir and cover again. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove collard greens from heat and stir.