This homemade pita bread recipe uses a bread machine to mix the pita dough. You simply put all pita ingredients in the bread machine, set it to “Dough” cycle and it will make the dough for you. Once the dough it made, you roll it into pita circles and quickly bake in a high temperature oven. That’s basically the process in a nutshell of how to make pita bread at home. Making homemade pita bread is actually simpler as it seems 🙂
Another great thing about this homemade pita bread recipe is that it uses the ingredients that are already on hand. So if you suddenly crave fresh warm pita bread and don’t feel like going to the store, just make the pita yourself – it will be so fresh, so hot, so delicious, and it will smell so good!
Homemade Pita Bread Recipe
- 1 1/8 cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
Instructions How To Make Pita Bread
- Pour water and oil in the bread machine pan. Add flour on top. In one corner on top of the flour, put sugar, in another corner put salt and in the 3rd corner put yeast. Set the bread machine on “Dough” cycle and press the “Start” button.
- After the “Dough” cycle finishes, the bread machine will beep. Take out the dough and put it on a floured surface. Shape the dough into a 12-inch sausage shape. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of pita dough into a ball. Roll each ball with a rolling pin into a 6-inch circle. Cover the pita dough circles with a kitchen towel and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500F. Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place 2 pitas on the cookie sheet and put in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then take the pita out of the oven and cover with a towel. Bake the remaining pitas.
Enjoy your homemade pita bread! If you like to bake fresh bread with your bread machine, check out bread machine cinnamon rolls recipe, oatmeal bread recipe for bread machine and soft white sandwich bread recipe.