Vegetarian fried rice is a very popular meatless main dish, as it is very easy to make and can use up leftovers. Leftover rice that’s been refrigerated actually makes a better fried rice than freshly cooked rice!Vegetarian fried rice is made out of rice, chopped vegetables and egg, stir-fried with oil and seasoned with soy sauce. For a vegan version of fried rice, just omit the egg :)For this easy vegetarian fried rice recipe, you can use any kind of veggies. You can use chopped frozen vegetables, or you can chop fresh vegetables. I often use whatever leftover vegetables I have in the refrigerator – just chop them up and turn them into yummy vegetarian fried rice meal!
On the picture above, I used fresh chopped zucchini for a vegetable in this fried rice recipe. For this vegetarian fried rice I also often use sliced bell peppers and mushrooms.
Vegetarian Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 shredded carrot (use the food processor to shred it)
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
Instructions How To Make Fried Rice
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shredded carrot and chopped vegetables. Cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add another 1 tbsp of oil to the frying pan. Add cooked rice and stir so it’s mixed with oil and vegetables.
- Add a raw egg to the rice, then stir very fast so all the rice is coated with egg.
- Drizzle with the soy sauce. Keep stirring for 2 minutes.