When you bake potatoes in the oven, you can bake them with or without foil – the cooking method is essentially the same. Should you wrap your potatoes in foil before baking them or not? It depends on what kind of potato you prefer. Baking potatoes without foil produces crispier skin and dryer inside. Baking potatoes wrapped in foil makes a potato with soft skin and moister inside.
Another thing you need to consider before deciding whether to wrap potatoes in foil or not is how quickly you will be serving them. The potatoes without foil cool down really fast, and the potatoes wrapped in foil stay hot for a long time – the foil keeps the potatoes hot for a quite a while after you take them out of the oven.
For the best tasting baked potatoes, use Russet potatoes – their texture is tender and fluffy when baked. When shopping for potatoes for baking, choose high quality potatoes without blemishes.
Foil Wrapped Oven Baked Potato Recipe
- Olive oil
Instructions How To Make Foil Wrapped Baked Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them with paper towels.
- Prick the potatoes 2 times with the fork to make holes for the steam to escape.
- Rub the potatoes with a little olive oil and with salt.
- Wrap the potatoes in foil and put them on a baking sheet.
- Put the foil wrapped potatoes in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
Serve the foil wrapped baked potato in its foil for an interesting presentation. Before eating, unwrap the foil, split the potato, sprinkle with salt and top with butter and sour cream. Yum!