These homemade egg rolls taste exactly like the ones from a Chinese restaurant! This is the only egg rolls recipe you’ll ever need!
These homemade egg rolls are so crispy and delicious! This easy recipe makes authentic Chinese egg rolls, they are so yummy! Bite into these golden brown egg rolls and satisfy your craving!
Making your own egg rolls is easy with the premade eggroll wrappers that you can buy in any large supermarket. Eggroll wrappers are usually sold in the produce refrigerator section next to refrigerated salad dressings, tofu and wonton wrappers. While you are shopping there, you can also grab a package of wonton wrappers to make homemade potstickers!
Since the dough is already pre-made in the form of eggroll wrappers, all you need to do is make the filling, wrap it with an egg roll wrapper and then fry the egg rolls in oil. The filling is made on a frying pan by simply cooking ground pork, shredded cabbage and carrot, and seasoning it with garlic, soy sauce and ground ginger.
A great shortcut for the eggroll filling is to use bagged coleslaw mix for the shredded cabbage and carrot. It’s basically the same thing, and you won’t have to shred the cabbage and carrots separately!
You can also substitute ground pork with ground chicken or any other ground meat or even shrimp! You can also make vegetarian egg rolls by omitting the meat altogether and doubling the amount of cabbage and carrots. Once you understand the main process of making egg rolls, you can experiment with different fillings and flavors.
If you like Chinese egg rolls, you will also love these amazing recipes:
Easy Chinese Potstickers Recipe – if you like egg rolls, I bet you also like potstickers! Make Chinese potstickers at home with this easy recipe!
Homemade Mongolian Beef – this copycat Mongolian beef recipe tastes exactly like the one from PF Chang’s!
Chinese Orange Chicken Recipe – feast on this delicious homemade orange chicken, no ordering takeout needed!
Chicken Lo Mein Noodles – makes this Chinese stir fry noodles dish quickly and easily!
Homemade Green Tea Ice Cream – for dessert, make this homemade green tea ice cream in your freezer – no ice cream machine needed!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (7 inch square) egg roll wrappers
- 1 quart vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
- Soy sauce, for dipping
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the pork is cooked through.
- Add shredded cabbage, carrot, garlic, ginger and soy sauce to the frying pan and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until the cabbage is wilted.
- Set a cup of water on the table (for sealing egg rolls).
- Put 3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Brush the outside of the egg roll wrapper with water using your finger or pastry brush.
- Fold the ends of the egg roll wrapper over the filling, and then roll the wrapper sideways into a tight roll.
- Repeat until you run out of filling (this recipe makes approximately 12 egg rolls).
- Heat 1 quart of oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Fry the egg rolls, just a few at a time, until browned and crispy (2 to 3 minutes per side). Let the egg rolls drain on paper towels.
- Serve the egg rolls immediately with soy sauce for dipping.