Chili Rellenos is a very popular Mexican dish of poblano chili peppers stuffed with cheese, dipped in egg, fried and served with tomato sauce. I love chili rellenos – the combination of spicy chili peppers and hot gooey melted cheese is so good!
If you make chili rellenos using fresh chili peppers, it requires a lot of work – you need to broil the chilies and take off their skin and seeds without breaking them. If you love chili rellenos but don’t want to do all the work to make them, I have great news for you – you can make authentic chili rellenos in less than half of the time thanks to the canned green chilies!
My version of chili rellenos uses canned whole green chilies that are already cooked and peeled, so they are ready for stuffing! You can buy canned whole green chilies in the Mexican foods isle in a supermarket. This easy chili rellenos recipe is so simple to make, and tastes just like the one made from scratch! This is an authentic Mexican stuffed chili rellenos recipe. Make it and everybody will surely be impressed by your cooking skills!
Easy Stuffed Chili Rellenos Recipe Using Canned Green Chilies
Chili Rellenos Ingredients
- 2 cans (8 oz each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 oz sliced cheese or cheese sticks
- 1/2 cup flour + another 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Prepared tomato sauce or salsa, for topping
Instructions How To Make Chili Rellenos
- Put the drained green chilies on a plate.
- Stuff each chili pepper with cheese. If using cheese slices, just roll up the cheese slice, if using a cheese stick, cut the cheese stick to be the same length as the chili pepper. Put the cheese inside chilies. Be careful not to break the chilies when stuffing.
- In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, milk, eggs and salt to make a dipping batter.
- Put another 1/2 cup flour on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Carefully dip each stuffed chili in the flour on both sides, then dip each chili in the batter on both sides.
- After dipping, put the chilies in the frying pan.
- Cook the chilies for 2 minutes on 1 side, then carefully flip them with a spatula and cook for 2 minutes on another side.
- While the chili rellenos are cooking, heat up the tomato sauce or salsa in a microwave until hot.
- Remove the chili rellenos from the frying pan onto a plate. Pour the hot tomato sauce or salsa over chili rellenos and serve.