Lasagna is typically considered an unhealthy dish, but you can make a healthy lasagna by using leaner ingredients. In this healthy lasagna recipe, I am using extra-lean ground turkey, lowfat ricotta cheese and part-skim mozarella cheese.
I also use 6 lasagna noodles instead of 9 to cut down on carbs. The resulting healthy turkey lasagna is so delicious that you will not miss the extra calories! Best if all, this lasagna is really easy to make.
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 jar (8 oz) lowfat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozarella cheese
- 1 jar (1 lb) pasta sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Boil lasagna noodles according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring periodically, for 3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to the onion, mix and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add ¾ tsp of salt, ⅛ tsp of pepper and minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Put the turkey mixture on the bottom of a non-stick 8x12 baking dish. Pour one third of pasta sauce over the turkey.
- Put 3 lasagna noodles side by side on top of the tomato sauce.
- Mix the ricotta cheese with ¼ tsp of salt. Spread the ricotta cheese over the lasagna noodles. Pour half of the remaining pasta sauce over the ricotta cheese.
- Put the remaining 3 lasagna noodles side by side on top of the tomato sauce.
- Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top.
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with the mozzarella cheese.
- Put lasagna in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Enjoy this tasty and healthy ground turkey lasagna! For step-by-step lasagna directions, see my illustrated page on how to make lasagna. Also, you can save yourself some work by soaking the lasagna noodles instead of boiling them – see my no boil lasagna recipe.