This chopped salad with chicken and roasted peppers is a perfect main dish salad that can feed a hungry person for lunch or dinner. Chopped chicken breast, eggs and feta cheese add lots of protein, and colorful vegetables with tasty Italian dressing give this salad lots of crunch and flavor. Lean protein, nutritious veggies and no carbs make this salad a very healthy meal – great if you want to lose weight and still enjoy your food!
I love adding roasted red peppers to salads, as they add so much flavor. For some reason, roasted peppers are not commonly used in salads, which makes them an unexpected “secret” ingredient – a unique yummy addition to your salad. I just use the roasted red peppers from the jar for the sake of convenience, but I know that some people roast them themselves in the oven under the broiled or over a gas flame on the stove. To me it just sounds like too much work, plus I love the taste of marinated roasted peppers from the jar, so it’s jarred red peppers for me 🙂
For the chicken I like to use leftover rotisserie chicken, but of course you can quickly cook the chicken breast on the frying pan just for the salad. I also like to make a bunch of hardboiled eggs at once, to use them for several days in salads and for snacks. This way you have to deal with peeling hardboiled eggs just once!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups lettuce leaves
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a cup, mix the oil and vinegar with a fork to combine.
- Divide the salad leaves between 4 plates.
- Sprinkle the lettuce with feta cheese. Add chopped tomato and cucumber to the lettuce. Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce and toss with your hands to coat everything with the dressing.
- Top the salad with the roasted peppers, chopped eggs and chopped chicken.