Blueberry pancakes is one of my favorite weekend breakfasts. I make blueberry pancakes on Saturday or Sunday mornings almost every week.
It is very easy to make blueberry pancakes from scratch. In fact, I don’t even have a pancake mix in my pantry because I don’t see a use for it. Using my easy blueberry pancakes recipe, mixing the ingredients for homemade pancakes takes just 5 minutes!
Treat yourself to a breakfast of hot delicious homemade blueberry pancakes from scratch loaded with blueberries! Fresh from the frying pan, load the blueberry pancakes onto your plate and pour maple syrup over them.
Recipe: How To Make Blueberry Pancakes From Scratch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup lowfat yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (or more) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Instructions How To Make Blueberry Pancakes From Scratch
- Whisk the egg in a bowl. Add yogurt, oil and vanilla to the egg, and mix until combined.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix! Overmixing pancake batter results in a tough pancakes. Leave the pancake batter a little lumpy.
- Add blueberries and stir. Let the pancake batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat (I always use 2 large frying pans at once to save time).
- Drop spoonfuls of batter (with a large spoon) on a frying pan. Cook the pancakes until golden-brown on one side, then flip with a spatula and cook until golden-brown on the other side.
- The time how long it take to cook the pancakes depends on whether the blueberries are fresh or frozen. Pancakes with the fresh blueberries cook much quicker than pancakes with the frozen blueberries. Frozen blueberries take time to thaw, and while they are thawing inside the pancakes on a frying pan, they make the batter cold and slow down the cooking process. I’d say on average the pancakes with the fresh blueberries take 3 minutes to cook per side, and the ones with the frozen blueberries take 6 minutes per side.
- Remove the cooked blueberry pancakes from the frying pan to a plate, and enjoy them while they are still hot! Homemade blueberry pancakes are so wonderful with maple syrup!
Here are some more pictures of how to make blueberry pancakes from scratch -
Blueberry pancake batter in the frying pan:
On the next picture below, see those tiny holes inside the blueberry pancake batter – this means the pancakes are ready to be flipped!
Here’s another picture of blueberry pancakes on the plate:
As you can see on this picture, these are LOADED with blueberries. The secret to great blueberry pancakes from scratch is not to skimp on blueberries! To me, there is no such thing as too many blueberries in the blueberry pancakes :)