This meat enchiladas recipe tastes very authentic, and goes really well with guacamole! This recipes makes amazing enchiladas that taste exactly the the enchiladas from your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Nobody can refuse these delicious tortilla roll-ups stuffed with the seasoned ground beef and topped with melted oozing cheese! This enchiladas recipe is very versatile – it can be easily made on a busy weeknight, but it’s can also be served to a crowd of guests at a Mexican-themed party. People love digging into these cheesy yummy enchiladas – they are so good!
These Mexican enchiladas are really easy to make – just put the meat filling inside the corn tortillas, roll the tortillas and put them in a casserole dish, top with tomato sauce and shredded cheese and bake. This is a one-dish meal, making your life so much easier! These enchiladas make a complete meal – no side dish necessary!
You can use any kind of ground meat here – the recipe specifies ground beef, but feel free to substitute with ground turkey or chicken.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 bunch of cilantro (leaves chopped, stems discarded)
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes. Add ground beef, sprinkle with chili powder and cumin, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring periodically, for 7 minutes, or until cooked through (no longer pink).
- Add garlic and ½ of the can of the tomato sauce. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add chopped cilantro and ½ cup of shredded cheese, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. The filling for the beef enchiladas is ready.
- Add water to the remaining tomato sauce in a can so the can is full, and stir with a spoon. Pour ¼ of the tomato sauce and water mixture on the bottom of the 8x12 baking dish, and spread so it covers the bottom of the dish.
- Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave: 3 at a time, for 30 seconds. After you heat the first 3 tortillas, assemble 3 enchiladas, then heat 3 more tortillas, etc.
- To assemble the enchilada, put a heaping tablespoon of the beef filling on top of the tortilla, then roll the tortilla into a roll. Put on a baking dish seam side down. Put all assembled enchiladas in that baking dish next to each other.
- Pour tomato sauce over the enchiladas.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Enjoy these yummy enchiladas!