Baba ganoush (also sometimes spelled as “baba ghanoush“, “baba ghanough” or “Baba ghanouj“) is a Middle-Eastern eggplant dip. Whenever I go to Middle Eastern restaurants, I always order baba ganoush for an appetizer.
I love eggplant baba ganoush, I can eat the whole bowl of it by myself 🙂 Baba ganoush is eaten with a pita bread – you dip warm fresh pita bread in baba ganoush and eat it. Baba ganoush is extremely addictive – you just dip the pita in it again and again and again until all the baba ganoush is gone!
In addition to serving baba ganoush as an appetizer dip, you can serve it as a sauce. Baba ganoush will really enhance the taste of plain chicken breast or fish, and it’s also wonderful with felafel and inside pita pocket sandwiches!
This recipe for baba ganoush is authentic and tastes just as good as the baba ganoush in Middle-Eastern restaurants! Making your own eggplant baba ganoush is easy – baba ganoush recipe has few ingredients and uses a food processor to blend everything into a yummy dip.
Homemade Eggplant Baba Ganoush Recipe
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp tahini (found in the “Ethnic foods” or “Middle Eastern” isle of all major grocery stores)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Instructions How To Make Baba Ganoush
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prick the eggplants in several spots with a knife (so they don’t explode in the oven). Put the eggplants on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until very soft.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven. Wait till they are cool enough to handle (I just run cold water over them to speed up the process).
- Cut the eggplants in half lenghwise. Scoop the flesh out with a fork and put in a bowl. Discard the skin.
- Chop the eggplant flesh and put in a fine-mesh colander. Put the colander over a sink, and press on the eggplant with your hands to squeeze the juices out.
- Put eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add more salt to taste if necessary.
- Serve baba ganoush with warmed pita bread for dipping.
Enjoy this yummy eggplant baba ganoush! Also, check out how to make pita bread at home – homemade pita bread dipped in homemade baba ganoush is absolutely perfect!